Bed Bugs are small, reddish brown, wingless insects that feed on human blood. An adult bed bug is the size and shape of an apple seed. A young bed bug is light tan color and the eggs are small and white.
Bed bugs feed on human blood. After feeding, bed bugs become bloated and turn a dark red color. Bed bugs can be confused with other insects, including beetles and newly hatched cockroaches.
Bed bugs are extremely hard to get rid of because under the right conditions, adult bed bugs can survive up to 18 months without feeding. They can hide in very tiny places that you would never expect to find insects.
The key is to find bed bugs early and start treatment as soon as you find them. If you get bed bugs it doesn’t mean you are dirty.
There are some common ways that bed bug enter a home:
- Bed bugs can attach to clothing and in purses, bags, and backpacks.
- Crawling between apartments or rowhomes.
- Traveling in luggage from infested hotels.
- Hiding in furniture such as mattresses, other furniture and clothing.
Here are some things you will need to do to work with us to get rid of bed bugs:
- Vacuum And Encase Your Mattress And Box Springs. You will need to take apart your entire bed and vacuum the mattress and box springs. You need to take great care to clean thoroughly around the seams and the tags.
Once you have cleaned these items, you will want to put plastic mattress protectors on each one. It is recommended to do this in a double layer. This will kill any bed bugs that may have survived the vacuuming and will prevent more from entering the mattress and box springs.
- Scrub And Treat Bed Frame. You will need to use hot soapy water followed by a pesticide to clean the entire bedframe. You will need to do this to any furniture near the bed. If you have carpeting, you will need to have the carpets steam cleaned.
- Wash All Bedding And Clothes In Hot Water. You will also need to dry everything at high temperatures
.One adult female lays around five eggs per day and up to 500 eggs after mating. In just 6 months, one bed bug can become over 30,000.